Wednesday 2 June 2010

A Treasure Trove of Sound

Sometimes the most amazing treasures are right under your nose, without you even knowing it. Or in this case, right under your ears....

My name is Loz Kaye, and I have been appointed Artist in Residence at NWSA- the North West Sound Archive. The North West Sound Archive, housed at Clitheroe Castle in the Ribble Valley, is the largest collection of sound recordings in the UK outside of London, and is a collection of international importance. The aim of my presence is to engage the people of Pennine Lancashire (and beyond...) in this amazing resource. I will be sharing this treasure trove of sound, gathering new material and using it for my own work.

As a composer and musician it was thrilling to go in to the archive. Racks and racks of reel to reel tape, even wax cylinders. Stories, memories and songs ready to be shared.

I am looking to contact groups in the Clitheroe area who would like to find out more about this wonderful piece of our heritage, or who would like a short talk on the NWSA, or who would like to share their memories and songs with me. You can contact the project at nwsaproject@gmail.com . I will be 'in residence' between the 14th of June and the 11th July. Watch this space for developments.

... A picture of me recording in the field....

No comments:

Post a Comment