Saturday 26 June 2010

The One Man Band

Back home in the shade after a day of sharing some of the recordings from the North West Sound Archives out and about in Clitheroe. It was certainly a hot experience, I had to break off part way through to get sun cream which I had forgotten to put on.

Just a quick refelction on the day, I have had well over 50 conversations about the archives. About a third of the people I talked to were aware of the archives, although recognition was good amongst local people. I've played a range of clips, which genuinely moved and entertained people. At the top of the requests were- tips on black pudding making, the best potatoes for chips and how to catch a greased pig. The best potato was a cause of lively debate! I recorded some responses including the point that the age of the potato is important in chip making, and memories of dripping on fried bread.

I have also made some great contacts that I hope can lead to some donations. I have a card from a dialect poet from Bacup, and talked to a man who used to run a local talking newspaper.

One of the things I have been touched by today is how passionate people are about local history and culture. Often these things are portrayed as being somehow niche concerns or luxury extras. One man I talked to said, 'You need to know your past to know your present and future. You need to know where you are coming from to know where you are going.'

No comments:

Post a Comment