Friday 2 July 2010

Scrumptious Stories

All set for my stint in the Castle Museum cafe tomorrow. I'll have exerpts from the archives, and be ready to record any responses. The theme is food and drink, appropriately enough. There will be some of the snippets I have been using before on this theme, some of which you can already hear on soundcloud . New to the collection I'm using is an account of catching sparrows to make pie, promoting pubs in Preston, and another monologue from the wonderful Albert Hill. This time it's about a Bolton pasty shop, and mouth watering it is too.

I have been working away on the piece for the following weekend, hence no blogging yesterday. Well, apart from the fact it got too hot inside to do anything and I had to go for a walk to clear my head. I have been putting together tracks using some of the play songs from the archives. My idea is that I will play these outside the castle down by the play area. It will be like ghosts of games past, voices coming and going on the breeze...

I am constantly struck by the immediacy of the recordings of oral history in the collection. The years fall away, but there is also something a bit uncanny about them too. It is this quality I want to capture.

No comments:

Post a Comment